WOO it feels weird to be writing posts again. But also good??? I’m going with it. Ok so TECHNICALLY my last post was on the last day of February – a March TBR (that I can pretty much guarantee I didn’t stick to). But just because I stopped posting doesn’t mean I stopped reading. I’m not going to review all of these books, BUT I did want to give them some ratings to let you know what I thought of them. Some of the ones I rated super highly (or any that were ARCS) I’ll be reviewing SOON!
- Recursion by Black Crouch: ★★★.5
- Lady Smoke by Laura Sebastian: ★★★★
- House of Earth and Blood by Sarah J Maas (audio): ★★★★★
- Not That I Could Tell by Jessica Strawser (audio): ★★★
- Ember Queen by Laura Sebastian: ★★★
- Wilder Girls by Rory Power (backlist): ★★★★
- The Turn of the Key by Ruth Ware (audio): ★★★★
- Love Her or Lose Her by Tessa Bailey (ARC): ★★★★
- Always Human by Ari North (Dragons and Tea book club): ★★★★
- Girl Gone Viral by Alisha Rai (ARC): ★★★★
- Queen of Air and Darkness by Cassandra Clare (audio): ★★★★
- #FashionVictim by Amina Akhtar: ★★
- A Court of Thorns and Roses by Sarah J Maas (audio, reread): ★★★★
- A Court of Mist and Fury by Sarah J Maas (audio, reread): ★★★★★
- Little Fires Everywhere by Celeste Ng: ★★★.5
- Mrs. Everything by Jennifer Weiner (audio): ★★★★
- A Heart In a Body in the World by Deb Caletti (backlist): ★★★★★
- A Court of Wings and Ruin by Sarah J Maas (audio, reread): ★★★★
- Fake it Til You Break It by Jennifer P. Ngugen (dragon and tea pick): ★★★
- The Girl From Widow Hills by Megan Miranda (ARC): ★★★★
- Beach Read by Emily Henry: ★★★★★
DNF: From Blood and Ash by Jennifer Armentrout (DNF @ 50%)
I guess on average that’s 7 books a month? Not bad. It’s important to note that if the book was an ARC, I’ll be reviewing it shortly! And I’ll have a post coming soon about my top 5 🙂 What’d everyone else read while I was gone?? Have you read any of these? What’d you think??
While my hauls have been low, I’ve been doing a LOT of reading (with the help of audio books), which is refreshing after my slump at the end of 2019. Reviewing is a whole different story… whoops. And for some reason I had a ton of rereads this month? Which was kind of fun!
Here are the books I read in February:
- Lady Midnight by Cassandra Clare (reread, audio): ★★★★
- The Wives by Tarryn Fisher (BOTM): ★★★.5
- The Wicked King by Holly Black (reread, audio): ★★★★★
- Foul Is Fair by Hannah Capin (ARC): ★★★★
- Ash Princess by Laura Sebastian (reread, audio): ★★★★
- Let’s Talk About Love by Claire Kann (Dragons and Tea Book Club Pick): ★★★.5
- Girl Made of Stars by Ashley Herring Blake (2019 backlist): ★★★★★
- Queen of Nothing by Holly Black (reread, audio): ★★★★★
- Lord of Shadows by Cassandra Clare (buddy read with Amy, audio): ★★★★
- Letters to the Lost by Brigid Kemmerer: ★★★★
- Recursion by Black Crouch (BOTM, 2020 backlist):
How many books did you read this month?
I tried to kick off the decade STRONG reading-wise, and I think I succeeded! Kind of. I did a LOT of reading this month, which was nice. What wasn’t so nice is I had a lot of 2-3 star reads, which hasn’t happened in a long time. I guess it can only go up from here?
Here are the books I read in the first month of the new decade:
- In The Unlikely Event by LJ Shen: ★★
- Heartstopper Vol 1 by Alice Oseman (2020 backlist read): ★★★★★
- Jane, Anonymous by Laurie Faria Stolarz (ARC): ★★★★
- Whisper Network by Chandler Baker (audio): ★★★★★
- Risky Play by Rachel Van Dyken: ★★
- Merle’s Door by Ted Kerasote: ★★
- Hidden Bodies by Caroline Kepnes (audio): ★★★.5
- March by Geraldine Brooks: ★★
- A Curse so Dark and Lonely by Brigid Kemmerer (audio, reread): ★★★★
- The Bear and the Nightingale by Katherine Arden (2019 backlist read): ★★★
- A Heart So Fierce and Broken by Brigid Kemmerer (ARC): ★★★.5
So…any suggestions on books to turn my rating trend back in the right direction? Let’s hope there’s better luck in February!
Happy reading, everybody.
I had a really slumpy November, so I was super relieved when my reading mojo returned for December! Unfortunately, my reviewing mojo remains hidden somewhere… oh well, I guess we can’t have everything, right?
Here are the books I read in December:
- Girls of Storm and Shadow by Natasha Ngan (ARC): ★★★★
- 10 Blind Dates by Ashley Elston (TisTheSeasonAThon): ★★★★
- Daisy Jones and the Six by Taylor Jenkins Reid (audio, TTSAT, BOTM): ★★★★
- Merry Inkmas by Talia Hibbert (Dragons and Tea Bookclub pick): ★★★★
- The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet by Becky Chambers (backlist pick):
- Finale by Stephanie Garber (audio): ★★★
- Tweet Cute by Emma Lord (ARC): ★★★★★
- One Day in December by Josie Silver (BOTM): ★★★★
- The Afterlife of Holly Chase by Cynthia Hand (bookclub): ★★★.5
How many books did you read in December? Are you all ready for 2020??
Annnnnd the slump returns. I definitely had a super slumpy November, which is a bummer because I was hoping to finish this year strong. But hopefully December goes a little bit better!
Here are the books I read in November:
- The Cabin at the End of the World by Paul Tremblay (FridayFrightAThon): ★★
- Girls of Paper and Fire by Natasha Ngan (audio, reread): ★★★★★
- Into the Crooked Place by Alexandra Christo (ARC): ★★★★
- Get a Life, Chloe Brown by Talia Hibbert (BOTM): ★★★★
- Queen of Nothing by Holly Black: ★★★★★
- The Cruel Prince by Holly Black (audio, reread): ★★★★★
- The Hating Game by Sally Thorne: ★★★★★
Yikes. Here’s hoping I read more in December??
How many books did you read this month?
The good news: my reading slump seems to be over! The bad news: I ONLY want to mood read and anything that I’m SUPPOSED to be reading sounds super unappealing. I have managed to review less than half them OOPS. But that’s a problem for another day.
Here are the books I managed to read this month:
- The Astonishing Color of After by Emily X R Pan (audio, backlist read, BOTM): ★★★★★
- Illuminae by Amie Kaufman & Jay Kristoff (audio, backlist read): ★★★★★
- American Predator by Maureen Callahan (FridayFrightAthon): ★★★★
- The Grace Year by Kim Liggett (ARC): ★★★★★
- The Whisper Man by Alex North (FFAT, BOTM): ★★★.5
- Gemina by Amie Kaufman & Jay Kristoff (audio): ★★★★
- The Escape Room by Megan Goldin (FFAT): ★★★
- The Girl From the Well by Rin Chupeco (Dragons and Tea Bookclub pick): ★★★★
- The Cabin at the End of the World by Paul Tremblay (FFAT): TBD
- Well Met by Jen DeLuca (BOTM, audio): TBD
How many books did you read in October? Were any of them super spooky??? If you participated in FridayFrightAThon with us, THANK YOU! We had so much fun.
Anybody else hit a massive book slump in September? No, just me? I had such big intentions what with contemporaryathon and everything, but man. It just didn’t happen. Hopefully October goes better for me.
Here are the books I did manage to get to this month (with a lot of help from audio):
- The Silent Patient by Alex Michaelides (audio): ★★★★
- How to Walk Away by Katherine Center (audio, BOTM book): ★★★
- The Chosen by JR Ward (audio): ★★★★
- The Last House Guest by Megan Miranda (audio): ★★★★
- Undead Girl Gang by Lily Anderson (Dragons and Tea Book Club pick): ★★★★
- Six Goodbyes We Never Said by Candace Granger (ARC): ★★★★
- Royal Holiday by Jasmine Guillory (ARC): ★★★.5
- Heart of the Moors by Holly Black (ARC): ★★★★
BIG YIKES so many audio books. And I haven’t read touched my backlist reads in a few months…and we’re in the last quarter of the year. Maybe I should get going on those…
How many books did you read in September?
ALERT THE MEDIA: my reading mojo is BACK. I’m in the double digits again this month, and I couldn’t be happier. I took August as a huge mood read month, and I loved every minute of it. So much so that I’m considering doing the same in September. Here are the books I tackled in August:
- The Dragon Republic by R.F. Kuang (ARC): ★★★★
- Soul of the Sword by Julie Kagawa (ARC): ★★★.5
- The Flatshare by Beth O’Leary: ★★★★★
- Where the Crawdads Sing by Delia Owens: ★★★.5
- Runaway Girl by Tessa Bailey: ★★★★
- Caraval by Stephanie Garber: ★★★★
- The Beast by JR Ward: ★★★.5
- All The Missing Girls by Megan Miranda: ★★★★★
- The Invasion by K.A. Applegate (reread): ★★★
- The Right Swipe by Alisha Rai (Dragons and Tea Bookclub): ★★★.5
- Legendary by Stephanie Garber (audio): ★★★★
How many books did you read this month? Which was your favorite?
After kicking ass last month, I did have a bit of a slower reading month this month – BUT we were out of town almost every single weekend, so I’ll take what I can get. I ended up reading 8 books this month:
- Here There Are Monsters by Amelinda Berube (ARC): ★★★.5
- The Poppy War by R.F. Kuang (audio, reread): ★★★★.5
- Love From A to Z by S.K. Ali (Dragons and Tea Bookclub pick): ★★★★
- My Lovely Wife by Samantha Downing: ★★★★
- Say You Still Love Me by K.A. Tucker (ARC): ★★★★.5
- Things You Save in a Fire by Katherine Center (ARC): ★★★★
- Shadow of the Fox by Julie Kagawa (reread, audio): ★★★★
- Th e Dragon Republic by R.F. Kuang (ARC):
I definitely think my favorites this month were Say You Still Love Me and My Lovely Wife. What was the best book you read in July?
Holy cow, you guys, WHAT a reading month. After a few slumpy months, this was so so welcome. With Summerathon helping me out, plus a few ARCs I HAD to get to, I blazed through a ton of great reads this month. Without further ado, here they all are!
- Normal People by Sally Rooney (BOTM pick, buddy read): ★★
- When the Light Went Out by Bridget Morrissey (ARC): ★★★.5
- Outlander by Diana Gabaldon (audio): ★★★.5
- Untouchable by Talia Hibbert: ★★★★★
- Circe by Madeline Miller (backlist reads pick, audio): ★★★★★
- The Final Draft by Riley Redgate (Dragons and Tea Bookclub pick): ★★★★
- The Shadows by JR Ward (audio): ★★★★
- Fix Her Up by Tessa Bailey (summerathon): ★★★★★
- Red White & Royal Blue by Casey McQuiston (summerathon): ★★★★★
- Getaway Girl by Tessa Bailey (summerathon?): ★★★★
- Next Year in Havana by Chanel Cleeton (summerathon): ★★★★★
- The Wedding Party by Jasmine Guillory (summerathon, ARC): ★★★★
- The Storm Crow by Kalyn Josephson (ARC): ★★★★
Ok, honestly, this month started out a little ROUGH but LOOK AT ALL THE 4-5 STAR READS at the end. This month truly brought me so many blessings in the way of books, and I finally broke back into the double digits – could it be my reading slump is OVER? Alas, the review-writing slump continues, as demonstrated by how few of those books have links available…
How many books did you read this month??